Not all blogs are equal. There are some that have a touch of class, an expression of individuality. It is always interesting to read such blogs, as if each time there will be a new revelation, a new way to know things that youre already aware of. More than writing prowess, it is the passion that drives blogs. So if youre passionate about something, youre most likely the ideal candidate to make your blog a success.
There is a growing concept that blog needs search engine optimization as much as a webpage does. This has proponents both for and against. And there is a reason for that. Many websites are in fact blog-sites in the sense that they are built on the back of content management applications, like Nucleus CMS and WordPress (you need to download on to your server) or the ubiquitous Googles Blogger (you dont download anything).
In these cases, since each blog-post makes a separate webpage, it perhaps makes sense to optimize it with a chosen keyword for better search engine ranking. Those who speak against optimizing blog-posts hold the oft-repeated view that it will spoil its spontaneity, which is so necessary for a blog to be liked by viewers.
What then are key points that go to make a blog eminently readable? Here is my take.
1. Discover a nicheIts not uncommon to find people having experience in diverse fields. For example, landscaping and philately. While that may be symptomatic of your personality, youre not expected to explore both in the same blog. Instead, it is always wise to discover a niche topic, say landscaping roof-top gardens or 19th century philately in Europe. As you can see, your topic is very focused. That would be ideal, given todays mushrooming of blogs everywhere.
2. Name yourselfOften, blogs are kept deliberately anonymous or given strange names. This has been the style in the beginning when blogs have just come into fashion. This doesnt work anymore. The point is you want to connect with your viewers, listen to what they have to say, and so a blog is served well when you let your viewers know who you actually are. Any ambiguity on your part will hasten lessening interest in your blog, even if it is well-modulated and well-written.
3. Develop your styleYour blog is the ideal place to leave your imprint. You may be good in narration, or you may be good as a critic, or perhaps you are a good story-teller, or may be youre a combination of more than one trait. It helps to remember that there are readers of any style that you adopt in your writing. If you are adept in weaving words, you may try switching between 2 or more styles, but a single style is more preferable if you look at it from your readers viewpoint.
4. Say something of valueThis is very important. Unless youve something fresh to add, why do you think your readers will find your blog interesting to read. It is tempting to gloss over this matter for the simple reason that it is difficult to write value-posts every time. It perhaps is. But keep telling yourself that you can always give a small twist to a tale already told. That may not be as difficult as you like to imagine.
5. Write regularlyIts surprising that among several thousands of blogs debuting everyday, only a handful makes it beyond a month, even less beyond 6 months. One reason may be lack of preparedness, which means many blogs are started on the spur of the moment. If you wish to slog it out, ensure that you write regularly, perhaps every alternate day or 2 to 3 days a week. There are 2 important issues here. Not only you signal to your readers about how frequent to expect your posts, the search engines too will pay regular visits, which is good for overall health of your blog.
6. Link, link everywhereBe generous with your links. If youve taken an idea from another site (no bad that), give a link there, albeit opening in new window. Its a mistake to believe that you cannot hold your own if you give away links where they matter. On the contrary, you may emerge as a good reference point whom your readers will come to trust in course of time. The other necessity is to link to your own earlier blog-pages whenever theres a chance to do so. As much as this strategy helps your readers, its an important fodder for search engine spiders who prefer links like nothing else. Coming back to the heading, How to make your blog lively?, suffice it to say that a blog is the wholesome fruit of all your efforts above, a sum-total of your ability and willingness to do it well. If one of these is lacking, your blog is likely to suffer, but more than that it is your valiant effort that will go waste. You dont want that, do you?Suggested readings:
5 ways to building a better blog
Make money online with ProBlogger blog tips